Sunday, April 19, 2015

Blog Post 13



What Did I Leave Out?

In this week's blog post assignment we were to create a specialized post that adheres to our area of expertise. For instance, me going to school to be a secondary education social studies major will be creating a post for history class.

What would be some ways to incorporate PBL in the modern History classroom?

Of course you could simply get your students to do a research paper on a specified individual, era, or genre; but if there anything this class has taught us, it's to get away from the repetitive style of education that is all too prevalent in schools.  However, I don't really see myself using a blog to get my students engaged in PBL either. Technology has it's places in schools no doubt, but in a history class I hope to be sticking with my textbook.

http://masscommunimania.blogspot.com/2013/05/2013-navajo-oral-history-project-3rd.html

Recently, I was registered in a class called "Old Regime and the French Revolution". In this class the professor didn't do the typical burp-back style of teaching us.We played a game called "Reacting to the Past". We were all given roles to play of important figures during the French Revolution, and split up into factions of the National Assembly. We had the chance to debate and literally change history, only this was 225 years later. Each individual had victory objectives along with factional victory objectives, which played a big role in the grade. Not only did this give us a better understanding of the French Revolution, but it also engaged the class. It also motivated us not only to come to class, but to come prepared. I really enjoyed that class and hope to do something along these lines when I have a class of my own one day.

Here is an example of the game in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTDFOSwhpg



No comments:

Post a Comment